Green and Jenks is a family dairy business that has been re-launched in 2015 following a gap of just a mere 58 years!
Frederick Green, born in 1838, the son of a flour miller from Hampshire, established our family dairy business in 1888.
Frederick moved to London as a young boy and worked in a variety of jobs ending up working for a dairy company in Hammersmith.
He saw the opportunity to have his own business in the rapidly expanding coal and shipping city of Cardiff. In 1888 he established the Roath Park Dairy Company at 1 Albany Road, the center of the busy Victorian suburb.
The dairy collected milk from farms from the rural areas around the city such as Rumney and St Mellons. The milk was pastuerised and processed into milk, cream and butter in the back yard of the premises.
The milk was delivered to households, first by horse and cart and then by vans. The company also had a thriving shop at the front of the premises, which employed around 20 people in total.
The Green’s had five daughters and the eldest, Lilian, took over the running of the business with her husband Hubert Jenks.
They had four children, the eldest Norman Jenks continued to run the business after studying Engineering at Cardiff University. He met his wife Mabel who worked at the shop and they had one daughter Shirley Jenks, who is now part of the family firm.
Shirley’s youngest daughter Gilly is now running the business, the fifth generation of the company.
Our new name is based on the names of our ancestors, Green & Jenks.